Wednesday 7 January 2015

How to choose the Perfect Red Lipstick!!

Hello Dolls,

So I put this question out to all of you on Twitter, and alot of you liked the idea for this post. 
If like me you like to have that GO-TO Red lippy, but you find it hard and overwhelming of all the shades and colours.
From fire engine red, to fire reds, orange reds etc...etc.. I could go on and on..
I found it so difficult to go into a shop and choose a colour, some seem so different under shop lights and under natural light and at times can look all the same in yellow lit shop. 

A quick tip is when you know your lip shade bracket (which I will discuss below), is research shades in that bracket. Have a list going into the shop and swatch them! Then walk out of the shop and see what the shades are like under natural light. I would suggest also swatching on your wrist, you will see why below!

So, Firstly!! You need to know your skin tone.. Heres a quick way of telling!


Cool Tones:
- Your veins in your wrist will be Blue/Purple.
-Silver jewelry flatters you more. 
-In the sun you look a blue-ish tone.
-You may tend to have porcelain/fair skin.


image google search


Neutral Tones:
-Your veins in your wrist will be a Blue/Green.
-Both Silver and Gold jewelry will flatter you.
-In the sun you look green-ish.
-You tend to have sallow skin. 

image google search


Warm Tones:
-Your veins in your wrist will be Green/Olive.
-Gold jewelry will flatter you.
-In the sun your skin looks yellow-ish. 
-You will tend to have a bronze/olive/golden skin.

image google search

So thats the homework done!! ha. That is possibly the easiest way to tell your undertone. 
So you can see why I say swatch the lippys on your wrist. 

So next thing is What shade of red suits my skin tone????

If you have a warm undertone...
You are looking for Reds that have a Yellow/Orange hue. The will look warmer.
Here are some lipsticks to suit you ladies with a warm undertone...

Smashbox-Lengendary.                 



Nyx Eros


MAC Lady Danger


(images above are google searched)



If you have a Cool undertone...
You will be looking for Reds that have a Blue/Pinky hue. These will look colder and cooler.
Here are some examples of Red lippys for you Cool tone ladies..(Like myself!!)

MAC Ruby Woo



MAC Russian Red


Maybelline Red Revivial

(all images above google searched)


If you have a Neutral undertone..
Usually ladies that have a neutral undertone can experiment with both sides of the Red Categories. It really depends on you what suits you. I would say to make it easier, if you feel you are more Fair try the Cool tones first and if you are more olive toned then try the Warm tones first. These will help you decide. And again swatch near your wrist and near your veins and you will be able to tell which compliments your undertone better. *Always use natural light*


I really hope this makes choosing a red lipstick easier for you. I have broken it down as well as  I can. I really hope I made sense, but if you have a different question on something I have not covered then please message me. 

Would you like to see another post on maybe Pink lipsticks, coral lipsticks, purple lipstick or nude lipstick for your skin tones?? Please let me know.

If you have a favourite Red lipstick please leave it below or Tweet/Facebook me it! I would love to know and add to my collection.

Let me know if you liked this post!!

Heres where else you can find me!!!

Email: nataliekeanemua@gmail.com

Facebook: Natalie Keane MUA

Twitter: @Natke05

Instagram: nataliekeanemua



Until then...

Toodles!


Natalie xx




No comments:

Post a Comment